- Fire Prevention
- Fire Safety
Fire Safety for Residents
Smoke Detectors Save Lives
- Install smoke detectors in every bedroom, outside of all the bedrooms, and one on every floor of the house/apartment.
- Change the batteries twice a year when you change the clocks.
- Replace all detectors that are 10 years old or older.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Carbon Monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that causes severe medical complications in high doses. The only way to protect yourself is to install the proper detectors.
- Install detectors within 15 feet of all bedrooms and on every floor with a carbon monoxide source.
- If the detector activates leave the area immediately and call 911
Plan Your Escape
- Plan two ways out of each room or building.
- Keep your escape route clear of clutter and furniture to eliminate tripping hazards.
- Count the number of doors between your apartment and the exit stairs so you can locate it in low visibility.
- Never use the elevator in a fire.
- Decide on a meeting place.
- Practice your escape plan.
- If you have a physical impairment that affects your ability to escape a fire, contact the Fire Prevention Bureau so our firefighters will be aware of your situation during an emergency.
- Keep a telephone in your bedroom at night so you can call 911 if you are unable to exit safely.
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Keep the area around the cook top free of all combustibles.
- Do not wear loose fitting clothing when you are cooking.
- Keep pot handles turned inward.
- If you have a grease fire, place the lid on top of the pot and turn the burner off.
- Use large, deep ashtrays on sturdy tables.
- Do not smoke in bed or when you are lying down.
- Do not smoke if you are sleepy, have taken medication, or have had alcohol to drink.
- Wet cigarette and cigar butts before throwing them in the trash.
- Never smoke in the house if you or a family member is on supplemental oxygen.
- Plug the heater directly into an outlet. Never use an extension cord.
- Keep the heater a minimum of three feet from anything that can burn
- Purchase a heater with the seal of a qualified testing laboratory. (Underwriters Laboratories UL)
- Purchase a heater with a thermostat, overheat protection, and auto shut-off to turn the heater off if it tips over.
- Do not use candles in the bedroom.
- Place candles on a hard noncombustible surface.
- Place candles in a location where they cannot be knocked over by a pet.
- Do not leave candles unattended (especially with children or pets).
- Extension cords are for temporary use only. Never use extension cords for appliances like refrigerators, microwaves, or air conditioners.
- Never overload a power strip or surge protector. Do not plug refrigerators, microwaves, air conditioners or other appliances into a power strip or surge protector.
- Do not run the cord for the power strip under a rug or through a wall.
- Unapproved cube adaptors should never be used.
- Never overload a receptacle.